Monday, July 28, 2008

Trust is an Issue

From this interview I learned that the Iraqi refugees are not a cohesive group, and each have their stories, their secrets, and these secrets could cost them their lives.


"J" and his 2 sons in their home in Amman, Jordan.


A newspaper clipping of Saddam Hussein hangs on the wall of J's home. There are many Iraqi refugees who continue to honor Saddam Hussein as the father of Iraq.


J is a Muslim who has converted to Christianity, which is illegal in Jordan.

“I do my best to get through each day and keep what is left of my family together,” says “H” of his current situation as a refugee in Amman, Jordan, “my boys are my life, my love.” H and his two sons live in an apartment without refrigerator, or cooker. His wife died 4 years ago from blood poisoning. He now does everything for his two sons, including protecting them by not telling his story. He is too scared. Scared of his fellow Iraqi refugees, scared of the Kurds who he says now run the Iraqi Embassy in Jordan, scared of the UNHCR because they ask him questions he will not answer, scared of the Iraqi government, scared because he converted to Christianity, scared of the Americans, scared of his and his sons. “H” wants to live in peace, no more killing, no more death, no more army.

What “H” did tell me is that Saddam Hussein is his father, the father of Iraq, the number 1 President for all Arabs. “He was the one who kept Iraq together, he was fair, everyone was equal, Shia, Sunni, Muslim, Christian, Kurd it didn’t matter as long as you swore fidelity to Saddam, he would protect you and your family. Now look at the government, they are run by Shia and Kurds and they don’t stop the killing, they want the killing,” was all H would tell me. He also said he came to Jordan in 2003 before the Iraq War started.

During the 2 hours I spent with H and his sons, I did understand what was not said and I will honor his wishes not to write about it or speak about it.

No comments: